Tuesday, February 9, 2010

Trip Conclusion


The wooden collar keeps the goats out of the houses.

A classroom chalkboard in the school in Paul. The date reads January 13, 2010, the date of the earthquake. The children have yet to return to school.

Kids in the Village of Hope

Cleaning a wound

The week I spent in Haiti was beyond amazing. The Haitian people taught me so much about myself and our world in general. In five days we treated around 2,000 people, pulled 250 teeth, fed 800 people and provided three patients with money and a ride to the hospital in Saint Marc where they will be cared for by an American medical team. We also worshiped on Sunday, built nine new rabbit cages (the rabbits are for protein), and attended a Haitian wedding. Although I would have much rather stayed in La Croix on Friday and done more work, the trip across the country to the Dominican Republic was also unforgettable. We did a lot for the Haitian people but they did even more for me. They taught me what is really important. It is not how nice your clothes are, or how big your house is, what phone you have, or how much money you make; it is truly that you have a love for life and for the Lord, not worldly things. Despite how little these people have and how bleak there future is, they are the most genuinely happy people I have ever been around. This is a trip that I will never forget. I love the country and the people of Haiti and I cannot wait to go back. Please continue to pray for the people of Haiti and Pastor Pierre.

Click here to see a few more pictures.



2 comments:

  1. Ian- Thanks so much for keeping a blog. It is a fabulous way to share so well what you saw and felt. Such a trip changes your life in ways that are indescribable. Thanks too for going, helping, and continue to encourage others to take the leap you took and go on a mission trip. Thanks for what you did in Haiti.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ian, what an awesome experience for you and what a blessing you & your team were to so many people whose lives you touched. I know that this will be part of you for the rest of your life. You are an inspiration to me to step out of my comfort zone. good luck with your college decision. Christine Kamon

    ReplyDelete